Life is a road you travel based on your experiences, education, the decisions you make and the effort you contribute. You have dreams and goals. There are many things you want to achieve and with some planning, hard work, assistance and luck you can make those dreams a reality.
Too bad it doesn’t just happen as smoothly as that! Life, and business, have a lot of bumps in the road and sometimes you can become stalled. This may include:
- revenues that plateau
- overlooked for promotion
- high turnover, low productivity, low morale
- and more!
When these obstacles present themselves, it is up to us to determine what steps we will take, or the amount of effort we will exert to overcome these challenges. Indecision, fear, competing priorities, lack of willingness to change, a lack of clarity or failing to plan can each impact our ability to move forward. A successful entrepreneur once said that “entrepreneurs have a very high fear tolerance because they are always pushing themselves to move forward into the unknown over and over again. But being on the edge is also very invigorating when those efforts pay-off.”
Very few of us, if any, go through our careers (employed or as an entrepreneur) without questioning our path, or wondering what we should/could be doing to achieve our dream. Business professionals will experience times when they feel stuck. This feeling may reflect:
- a job that isn’t ideal,
- results that are less than stellar,
- a lack of decision-making power because you are sandwiched between front line employees and senior managers,
- frustration that time is passing and goals remain unmet, or boredom.
Dr Timothy Butler, a professor at Harvard Business School, and author of the book Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths says “This feeling of being stuck in one place, while troubling, is part of a necessary crisis leading to personal growth. Without it we cannot grow, change, and—eventually—live more fully in a larger world.”
According to Dr. Butler, an impasse doesn’t happen overnight. Instead it is something that grows over time. “When we feel stuck, getting our energy moving can feel like a Herculean challenge. It can seem as if we are glued to wherever we are, with no hope of a remedy,” says Dr. Butler. “Feeling stuck can take a lot of forms. It can manifest as boredom, the blues, impatience, frustration and even hunger. If you stay stuck long enough, it can translate into more serious things like depression, hopelessness and despair.”
Want to get UNSTUCK?
1. Write your goals in a list, vision board or mindmap. Post these goals in a visible location so you can see them every day! This will keep your goals front and centre in your mind. Check out my Goal Strategy Success program. This proven tool guides you to set, plan, act, review and keep moving forward for an entire year! The perpetual format of the journal allows you to start TODAY!
2, Work with an accountability partner. This may be a mentor, Coach or Mastermind team. When you share your goals and dreams with another person and they are supportive to your efforts, you are significantly more likely to achive those goals more quickly, and the process will be easier. Check out my mastermind program and 1:1 and group coaching programs! I have a plan that fits your needs and budget!
3. Connect & promote. This may be very challenging when you are feeling stuck but networking is vital for every business person! If you business is stalled, networking puts you in touch with potential venture partners and customer and helps you keep in touch with what is happening around you. It allows you to shift your focus! If you are employed and bored or frustrated in your job, networking connects you with potential employers or new job opportunities. Don’t hibernate…reach out and enjoy the pay-off.
Don’t let setbacks, dashed goals or broken relationships be the glue that holds you back. Learn from these events, add SPARK and set forth on another adventure! Life and business have their ups and downs but the journey is worthwhile with a bit of effort!